NARROWSBURG – The Upper Delaware Council, Inc. (UDC) is accepting public nominations until March 16 for its 21st Annual Awards Ceremony to be held on April 19 at Central House Family Resort in Beach Lake, PA.
“These awards are intended to highlight and honor the events and achievements of the many individuals, organizations, and government agencies in the Upper Delaware River region,” said UDC Executive Director Bill Douglass. “We want the entire river community to be involved in the nomination process.”
Nine award categories are available, in addition to the Oaken Gavel Award traditionally given by the Council to the past year’s chairperson. Nomination forms and a list of past award recipients are available at the UDC’s website at www.upperdelawarecouncil.org or on request.
Nominations are sought for the following:
- Distinguished Service Award – Given to that individual who acted with distinction in support of the goals and objectives of the River Management Plan for the Upper Delaware Scenic & Recreational River. This is the UDC’s highest honor.
- Robin M. Daniels Memorial Lifesaving Award – Given to individual(s) who, through an act of personal heroism, saved the life of a person or persons in imminent peril in 2008.
- Community Service Award – Given to the individual, community, sportsmen’s or conservation group, or other entity that took action in 2008 to protect the river corridor, or one or more of its valuable resources.
- Cultural Achievement Award – Given to the organization or individual whose work in 2008 promoted, enhanced, or interpreted the cultural resources of the Upper Delaware River Valley.
- Recreation Achievement Award – Given to the organization that made an outstanding effort to educate river users about such subjects as water safety, conservation, litter control, river etiquette, and property rights in 2008.
- Outstanding Community Achievement Award – Given to a municipality to recognize significant action in 2008 to protect the river corridor.
- Partnership Award – Given to a government agency or regional entity instituting new programs or policies, or engaging in c
ooperative ventures, in support of the River Management Plan.
- Volunteer Award – Given to the individual or organization who contributed time and energy in 2008 to enhance or protect the river corridor. Award(s) of Recognition– Given to those individuals who have made substantial efforts to improve the quality of life and conserve the resources of the Upper Delaware River Valley.
Nominations will be evaluated by a UDC subcommittee. The list of this year’s honorees will be announced in late March.
The Sunday, April 19, ceremony will take place in the Carriage House venue of Central House Resort, located off Rt. 652 in Beach Lake, PA. The program gets underway at 3 p.m. with a cash bar reception. A buffet dinner will be served at 4:00 p.m., followed by a keynote address and the presentation of awards. Tickets are $24 per person. Reservations with advance payment are required by April 10.