NARROWSBURG – The Upper Delaware Council (UDC) presented a check for $8,125 to the Town of Deerpark on August 23 representing its share of a $75,000 Community Projects State Grant funding program that Senator John J. Bonacic secured for the UDC’s eight New York State member towns in the FY 2008-2009 budget.
The grant funding enabled the town to install a historically authentic bluestone entranceway and safety lighting at the Town of Deerpark Museum located in the 1863 Schoolhouse building at 25 Grange Road in Huguenot.
The town retained goods and services from Flieger Construction of Cuddebackville, NY; Witkowski Electric of Sparrowbush, NY; Otisville True Value of Otisville, NY; Neversink Lumber of Port Jervis, NY; and Thompson Stone, Inc. of Montague, NJ.
The grant funding enabled the Town of Deerpark to correct a safety issue due to the increasing deterioration of the prior cement steps. The 1863 Schoolhouse, listed on the State and National Register of Historic Places, houses the Town Muse
um and Historian’s Office. It is utilized by the public for archival research, community activities, meetings, educational programs, and cultural events. This project, on which the town expended a total of $8,129.50, completed restoration of the history property.
From FY 2000 through this grant round, Senator Bonacic has secured $365,000 for Upper Delaware River Valley town projects that promote tourism, improve town-owned facilities, or enhance river access through contracts administered by the UDC and the New York State Department of Economic Development.